Do’s and Don’ts of Document Storage
Some “Do’s and Dont’s” When Keeping Your Own Documents Safely
- NEVER attach anything to your Will (or other documents) with staples, paper clips, glue, sellotape or any other method. The Probate Office will reject what they regard as defaced Wills and your Estate will be declared intestate.
- If you have any Letters of Wishes or other personal letters which you would like to be read alongside the Will, please leave them loose-leaf inside the back cover.
- NEVER alter or add text to the Will (or other documents). This will render the Will & other documents void. If you need to make changes, please call the Company and we will make the necessary arrangements.
- Your Will is rendered VOID if you change your name, marry or enter in to a Civil Partnership.
- If you divorce, the Will still stands but is read as though the divorced spouse’s name is not within it.
- Some changes in circumstance may require an amendment to your Will. Please refer to the Company if this is the case.
- Most amendments can be adequately dealt with at the bi-annual (two-yearly) reviews, which you will receive from the Company as a matter of course.
- If you lose your Will, again please refer to the Company for advice. Generally, this involves re-raising the document(s) and completing the Attestation process (signing and witnessing) again. However, this situation can be avoided by opting to store your documents with the Company. For an annual fee of £30 you and your Executors know where the documents are and can be sure that they are safe.
IT IS YOUR EXECUTORS WHO NEED TO FIND YOUR WILL SHOULD SOMETHING HAPPEN TO YOU, THEREFORE YOU MUST ENSURE THEY KNOW WHERE THE FINAL, SIGNED AND WITNESSED COPIES ARE KEPT. IF THIS IS WITH OUR COMPANY IN SECURE STORAGE, YOUR EXECUTORS WILL BE INFORMED OF THE WHERABOUTS OF YOUR WILLS (AND/OR OTHER DOCUMENTS).
The Company currently services clients throughout the West Midlands, Warwickshire, Oxfordshire, Northamptonshire, Buckinghamshire, London and the Home Counties.